We’ve rounded up a list of articles or blog posts summarizing this year’s 2016 Legal Tech Show, otherwise known to many conference goers as, #LTNY16.
In keeping with our tradition, this conference wrap-up includes quotes, quips and, of course, session summaries. It’s this week’s Friday Share and there are even a few that are not about eDiscovery or “puppygate.”
This year’s coverage includes a mix of legal tech industry news including informative session recaps from Legaltech News and Above the Law, along with some straight security-focused news from SC Magazine.
All of our coverage, session roundups and show recaps, for the last three years, can be found here: LTNY. The mashup below includes a curated list from the web and some of our own coverage.
.@iamdavo and crew representing @Brainspace at #LTNY16 for a good cause. pic.twitter.com/NcmowriweG
— Brainspace (@Brainspace) February 3, 2016
LegalTech Keynote Session Summaries
- Legaltech News:Talking Tech: 5 Federal Judges Kick Off Legaltech New York 2016
- Legaltech News: Private or Not: Employer Information on Private Devices
- Legaltech News: Former FBI Operative Tells His ‘Spy Stories’ and the Biggest Issues in Security
- Business of Law Blog: LTNY Keynote: Judges, Courtrooms and Tech [Session Summary]
- Business of Law Blog: Outrun the Bear: Law Firm Cybersecurity and the Insider Threat
- Disrupt Legal: 3 Takeaways from LegalTech New York 2016 (Day 1)
.@JeffPfeifer, VP Product Platforms @LexisNexis discusses legal tech trends w/ @EE_Harrison of @ALMMedia at #LTNY16 pic.twitter.com/7CxgCmQUI2
— LexisNexis (@LexisNexis) February 2, 2016
LegalTech Panel Session Summaries
- Legaltech News: Time for TAR? Beyond E-Discovery Review at LTNY
- Legaltech News: Legaltech Experts Discuss Analytics in Investigations and Practice
- Legaltech News: How IG Can Keep you Ahead of Discovery
- Legaltech News: The Perilous Side of the Cloud: Shadow IT and Excess Data
- Legaltech News: Clouds, Start-Ups, Privacy Issues and Blockchains: Is This the Future of Legal Tech?
- SC Magazine: Protecting the corporate data ‘crown jewels’
- SC Magazine: Dumping data to mitigate risk: LegalTech panel
- SC Magazine: Teaming up IT and legal departments for better corporate security
- SC Magazine: Information governance hard to achieve, worth effort to protect data
- SC Magazine: Corporate legal dept. finds role shifting amid cybersecurity, privacy concerns
- Law360: Why You Need To Get Over Your Fear Of E-Discovery
- Business of Law Blog: A Powerful Example of Why Small Law Firms Need Policies
- Business of Law Blog: LegalTech: 6 Tips for Convincing Attorneys to Embrace CRM
- Business of Law Blog: Six Sigma: Driving Better Law Firm Business Decisions
- IT Security News: Fast and furious: breaches keep rolling in, orgs must act quickly
- Corporate Counsel: Panel: CLOs Want to Adapt. But First They Need “Proof”
- Bloomberg BNA: Wake Up Call (Technology)
- International Business Times: Safe Harbor 2.0: Critics Slam US, EU ‘Privacy Shield’…
Some controversy at #LTNY16 over #legalit vendor with cage of puppies to cuddle – they are not rubber stress balls pic.twitter.com/jUm86FcTui
— Charles Christian (@ChristianUncut) February 4, 2016
Broad Observations about LegalTech
- ACEDS: LegalTech Roundup: What You Missed at LTNY 2016
- Above the Law: Why You Should Care About Legal Tech (Zach Abramowitz)
- Above the Law: Debunking 3 Legal Technology Myths(Jeff Benion)
- Legal IT Insider: Legal IT: Wins, deals, product launches and people moves
- Business of Law Blog: 7 Trends Heard [So Far] at LegalTech New York 2016
- Business of Law Blog: 13 Filtered eDiscovery Statistics to Warm Up for #LTNY16
- Bloomberg BNA: Technology brief
- New York Law Journal: LegalTech Opens in New York
- Legaltech News: ALM Editors Discuss How Tech is Changing the Legal World (Ricci Dipshan)
- Law Sites Blog: At Legaltech, the Word Is … eDiscovery
- Legal io: io at LegalTech 2016
- Varonis: Bring your Geek to Court (Cindy Ng)
.@LexMachina CEO Josh Becker and GC Owen Byrd at #LTNY16 pic.twitter.com/9FgE2pIMtX
— Bob Ambrogi (@bobambrogi) February 2, 2016
LexisNexis LegalTech Announcements
- Legaltech News: Lexis DiscoveryIQ Applies Advanced Visual Analytics to E-Discovery
- News Release: LexisNexis Unveils Lexis® DiscoveryIQ eDiscovery Platform Enhanced by Brainspace
- Business of Law Blog: eDiscovery Darwinism: Meet Brainspace CEO Dave Copps [Q&A]
- Business of Law Blog: Lexis DiscoveryIQ: Every Case Has a Story; Find it Faster
- Business of Law Blog: Faster, Easier eDiscovery Review: The New Concordance Desktop
- News Release: LexisNexis Expands Software Channel Partner Program
Judge Peck cites problem of vanishing trial. Only 1% of federal cases going to trial. #LTNY16 pic.twitter.com/WZUutm6Ume
— Daniel W. Linna Jr. (@DanLinna) February 2, 2016
LegalTech: Social Media Quips, Stats and Quotables
There was no shortage of social media banter during this year’s show. A few witty status updates and comments stood out. Perhaps none as prominently as this this one from the Hon. Andrew J. Peck of the US District Court of the Southern District of New York:
“Bring your geek to court,” he said, during the inaugural keynote, reminding attorneys to bring tech smarts into the courtroom.
There were two other hashtags in use #LTNY and #Legaltech and we’ve culled a massive volume of updates down to a few we felt were relevant.
- @AndrewArruda makes light of the robot in the room: Robot lawyer meet-up in Palo Alto w/ @findingjimoh and of I of @ROSSIntel & @jbrowder1 of #DoNotPay 🙂
- @stevewatson quotes Judge Peck on the state of ediscovery: #legaltech plenary, Judge Peck “we should just drop the ‘E’ from ediscovery and call it discovery because nearly all of it is digital now.”
- @JoshuaLenon gives us a heads up about a cool upcoming podcast:.@bobambrogi & @monicabay are pairing up for a #legaltech podcast. It’s going to be amazing.
- @business_of_law: Button: $3.8 million is the ave. cost of a data breach says MTS lead Jesse Alexander booth 100 #LTNY16
- @davidcurle uncovers some sobering stats for inside counsel: 80% of corps not auditing tech competency of outside law firms. “The soft underbelly of data security” -Google’s Ponce de Leon. #legaltech
- Here @veritastechevt tells us: Q: How many emails do you think are sent every 60 secs? A: 204 million+ #LTNY16 (no wonder your inbox is full)
- @Suzfabulous shared a funny moment via Judge Peck: In camera reviews… “Since I’m paid less than your first year associates, my review days are limited.” Judge Peck #FRCA #LTNY16
- @atlblog:Debunking 3 Legal Technology Myths: http://bit.ly/1RYnDWp (by @jbennionlaw; cc: #LTNY #LTNY16 #legaltech)
- Puppies say what? @ChristianUncutL weighs in: Some controversy at #LTNY16 over #legalit vendor with cage of puppies to cuddle – they are not rubber stress balls (“Puppygate“).
Surely there will be more articles, posts and roundups in the days and weeks to come. We’ll add those to the list here as we see them, or feel free to leave a link in the comments or tweet us those you think are relevant for consideration: @business_of_law.
* * *
This is a post was compiled by contributor Carla Del Bove and Frank Strong.
If you enjoyed this post, you might also like:
9 Neatly Organized LexisNexis Reports and Studies from 2015